Tuesday, 1 November 2011

Choose a Christmas Charity

Once upon a time (in the 1960s actually), there lived a beautiful, sad and lonely girl.  She spent her days dreaming about the family she never knew, the life she thought she would have had (an American G.I. father was her favourite.  One day he would come back to England and take her home to her family).  The beautiful girl lived in a children's home, no family, no love, no hugs, just the essentials required to bring an unwanted child up. 

The beautiful girl found herself in her sport.  She excelled at running.  She ran and ran everyday.  Running from her pain and towards her future.

One day, like many innocent girls with nobody to guide them, she met "the one" she loved him with all her heart and believed his promises of eternal love, she soon discovered her dreams were dust .  She was carrying a child and was alone again.

Scandal in the children's home, she was 16 years old and pregnant, she was sent away in disgrace to a Salvation Army Mother and Baby home. A christian charity, one of the few in those days who would take unmarried pregnant girls in. She had to work for her keep, cleaning, scrubbing floors, washing.  Long days, no love and all with the knowledge that when her baby came it would be taken away from her and put up for adoption.

She lay awake at night talking to her baby, muffling her cries into her pillow, crying for the life she never had, lonely and alone.

On her hands and knees scrubbing floors, the baby decided it was time.  The beautiful girl was taken to hospital and there her tiny baby daughter was born.   They told the beautiful girl "You must nurse the baby for six weeks and then we will take her away from you " .  Every moment of every day she marvelled at her beautiful child and loved her more and more.  A seed started to grow in her heart, she would fight, she would never give up her tiny child.

When the day came for the baby to be taken away, the beautiful girl refused.  She would not let anybody have her baby "don't be a silly girl, you are only 17 years old, you have no family, you cannot go back to the children's home !  what do you think you will do ?"   She refused to give in, holding tightly to her tiny baby.  "She is mine, she is all I have, I will not let you take her from me".

The beautiful girl won her battle to keep her baby and was moved back to the Salvation Army Mother and Baby home where she worked and worked and worked.  Her baby by her side .

The beautiful girl is my mother and I am the baby .

Please join me this year in the run up to Christmas and actively support a charity on your blog.  If you are unable to raise money for your chosen Charity at least raise awareness for them by blogging, tweeting and facebooking about them.

33 comments:

  1. Wow - what a moving post. Good on your Mum! It beggars belief how many children must have been taken when their mother didn't want them to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I think my mum was so brave to fight for me, she must have been so scared at the time. I can't imagine what it must feel like to carry a baby for 9 months, give birth and then have to nurse the child for 6 weeks before having it taken away. So cruel. Thank go times have changed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lost for words, absolutely moving and lovely post and well done to your mum for not giving in when it was the hardest option! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you have moved me to tears. Your mum is one inspirational and amazing lady.

    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am crying having read this and crying more now I know the story is yours and your mums.Ohh Karen what a fantastic young woman she was. Respect to her and to you for sharing.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an amazing young woman your Mother was. You must be so very proud of her. Thank you for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my word what a moving story. I was so suprised to hear it was about you and your mother. She sounds like an amazing woman xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful post. So moving. My mum was in the salvation army and I always give to them at Christmas time. The boys buy a toy to give to their toy drive. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. My Darling Daughter what can I say, other than a Mother's love never dies xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful post today, your mum is so strong :)

    Bee happy x
    Have a delicious day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG! your post made me so emotional.
    Some day I just moan so much about raising my 1 year old and how much of my old life I had to give up, but deep inside I know I am blessed to have a lovely husband and daughter and friends and family.
    Good on your mother, it sounds like she did a fantastic job! and ay 17! Wow! such an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you all for taking the time to read this post and comment. As you can imagine it was difficult to write but I also feel very strongly about supporting all the amazing people whose hard work for some charities in this country often goes unrewarded. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful post and a brilliant idea to support a charity in the run up to Christmas x x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ohh karen that is just beautiful, I am sat here snivelling. What a wonderful Mum you have.

    Lovely idea to support a charity. I am supporting Samaritans Purse currently and have been blogging about it for a while now.

    Mich x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am crying. How brave of her, especially in the time she would have had you. Whenever I hear the SA play at Christmas I always feel a lump in my throat, this year even more so, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. and so the story continues..... with you a truly lovely lady and fab mum to your gorgeous boys x

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a lovely post. Very emotional. How awful for all those girls who had to give up their children after 6 weeks. It seems so cruel.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The more I get to know you the more I find myself thinking what a wonderful woman you are and how much respect and admiration I have for you...I want you to know that!
    I'm definitely going to get involved in this xxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a lovely post your mum is a true inspiration and so brave. The Salvation Army do such great things a very worthwhile charity xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Awwww. You've made me all emotional now! No wonder you are so amazing, you obviously get it from your Mum xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my goodness. What an incredible story.

    I'm crying and whooping all at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is such a beautiful post and how lucky you are to have such a beautiful, loving, strong mother!

    I shall certainly join you in blogging about a charity, although choosing just one will be hard...

    I spent 3 months volunteering for the Salvation Army in Germany and I loved every minute of it. Despite being too "liberal" to really fit in with Christianity, I felt so welcomed and valued by every member of the 3 different places I worked. They are, for me, a wonderful charity as they really do give so very much to so many people. I am glad that they were able to offer your mum somewhere to stay to enable her to keep you with her xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. I don't have any words apart from to say that it's amazing how driven people can be and heartening that people can fight for what should be. Good for your mum! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful post and an amazing story. I am so happy to think of your Mum ending up surrounded by family. I will certainly blog about a charity as you suggest. X

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a beautifully moving post, and what a fabulous, amazing woman your mother must be!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you once again for all your lovely supportive comments. It means so much to me and yes my mum is amazing.
    Happily life is much improved for her now she has at last found a good man.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This had me in tears. What a strong determined woman your mother must be and I now see where you get it from

    ReplyDelete
  29. Such a beautiful story, so moving. And what an inspiration your Mum is. xx

    ReplyDelete
  30. Your mother was incredibly brave and what she went through must have been so difficult. Very thankful things have changed now! What a wonderful story of strength and determination to pass down through your family - hard as it must have been. So inspirational

    Jem xXx

    ReplyDelete
  31. OMG Karen that sent a huge shiver down my spine. I wasn't expecting that ending. Your mum has obviously instilled her determination within you x

    ReplyDelete
  32. such a lovely post, I now have tears in my eyes.
    Your Mum had incredible determination, knowing that she had such a tough job ahead of her.


    Chloe
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  33. "If you haven't any charity in your heart you have the worst kind of heart trouble" to cure it help people, let's unite for one good cause, be a volunteer"save lives"!
    mawaddainternationalaid

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

google analytics