Tuesday, 4 October 2011

My 15 minutes of fame and the Vosene Nitwatch Campaign

The boys are settling back into school routine after the long Summer holidays.  The routine at the school gate is also falling back into place.  One topic which doesn't take long to crop up with the mums & dads is the subject of nits ! or to give them their correct term head lice.  (I have learned an awful lot about the difference in recent weeks). 

 After listening to yet another conversation on the subject, a germ of an idea started to form, I have worked with Vosene in the past and am still in regular contact with the lovely Holly.  I know they are running the NITWATCH campaign on their website and because we were lucky enough to receive samples of their products also know that the Vosene Kids range contains ingredients repellent to head lice, so what about a joint campaign in Exeter.  Emails flew back and forth and before you could say "prevention rather than cure"  I was being told that I was booked on a slot on local radio to talk about "my campaign" !

Sadly I didn't think to get a recording of it, I was so nervous about the fact that it was a live show, all my plans went out of my head.  I didn't even manage to get a photo !  Luckily the presenter was a seasoned pro who guided me through the "guest slot" and it went off without a hitch.

Next day, The team from Vosene arrived in Exeter in their big white van, stocked up with samples, balloons, flyers and a giant sized Louse costume ! 


Me with the fabulous Michelle from Vosene in her Louse costume !

We kicked off the day by being interviewed by the local BBC Spotlight programme at Nippers hairdressers in Exeter. Another nerve wracking but great experience.  Again it was only available to see for one day, I dowloaded it to my facebook page but now its not available to watch due to licencing laws ! Not very good at this am I !  Two shots at capturing my fame for all time now lost.  Never mind, I hear we will be in the local paper this week, although the photographer who was following us around on the day has told me that they are using a photo of the head louse and not me!  I mean honestly ! outshone by a bug!



You can see the film crew and camera in the background



After Nippers we decided to take a walk around Exeter City centre, passing on our message about head lice and handing out samples and flyers.  Look at the lovely fetching polo shirts we got to wear !


Exeter high street accompanied by two lovely mums from the twins school Julie and Mandy .



Next stop the Cathedral Green where the lunchtime shoppers and office workers sit on a nice sunny day to enjoy the view of the Cathedral and look on bemused whilst a giant louse gets beaten to a pulp by over enthusiastic School children !


After a quick break for lunch it was off to the local pre-school.  I must admit I was a bit unsure about the reaction our giant head louse would receive from the toddlers but no need, they loved her .  Although they did keep referring to her as a spider. 


We left them with balloons and lots of free samples and made our way to The twins school.  We set up camp outside the school to wait for hometime and were a source of much amusement to the passers by in cars and buses.  The parents started to arrive and soon everybody got into the spirit of the event.








One final picture Milo came out of school to see what all the fuss with his mummy was about.



We had a great day. I really do think we were successful in getting the message out to the people of Exeter in a fun way that Head Lice are not something that should be talked about in hushed tones, its not dirty people who get them.  Anybody can get them. They go for all hair types but if you catch them early with regular inspections, use shampoos or hair products on a regular basis which contain natural ingredients like Lemon Eucalyptus Oil ,tea tree oil and lemon grass and wet comb your hair to remove them.  Then we can all reduce the risks of infection and receiving the dreaded letter home from school.

Thanks again to Vosene for a great fun day and also to the lovely Julie and Mandy two fellow mums from school who did an amazing job and gave their time freely to help out on the day.

This is not a sponsored post, I was not paid or incentivised in anyway !








3 comments:

  1. Wow, looks like you had a fab day!

    Bee happy x
    Have a delicious day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bless, it was and the weather was fab which really helped xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww looks like you had a great time. That bug looks a bit scary though x

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

google analytics